normal self-assembling bilayers from single lipid .gro

• htranz
  • htranz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago #2088 by htranz
Hi Martini gurus,

I am a new user with a little MD background working on self-assembling/simulating my own bilayer systems. Using the DSPC tutorial as a template I have been working to simulate systems with 512 lipids (combinations of DPPC and DOPC) in water. I have manually edited the dspc_single.gro file from the tutorial to generate a dppc_single.gro and dopc_single.gro by simply adding/deleting residues and renaming to match the different lipids, but left the coordinates exactly the same from dspc_single.gro.

Is this an appropriate method to obtain accurate self-assembled bilayer simulations? I am worried that the system energy minimization may be inaccurately represented by using the dspc coordinates, is there a better way to generate single lipid .gro files?

Thank you very much for any help!

Holden

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #2096 by mnmelo
Hi,

The Martini model is quite robust in that respect, so you should have no problem in using DSPC coordinates as a starting point -- even more so if doing a self-assembly.

Just a quick tip: if you're using GROMACS you can get away without having to actually rename atoms in the .gro file. grompp will complain about name mismatches but you can ignore that in this case.

More
10 years 6 months ago #2097 by Clement
If I understand well your question, you changed on the fly the names of the beads of your lipids from DSPC to match DPPC/DOPC, (and add/remove beads if necessary) and wonder if the conformation is usable as it is?

The answer is yes, the minimization will fix that; the Martini force field is flexible enough to allow this kind of... tweaks.

• htranz
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago #2113 by htranz
Thank you very much for your responses. Clement, yes I did just modify the .gro file as you said, glad to hear the molecules adjust acccordingly. On a somewhat related note, I've tried making a Cholesterol single molecule .gro file by editing the dppc_chol.gro file available on the download page. My intention is to insert Chol molecules into a lipid bilayer, however on attempting to self assemble a 50/50 DPPC/Chol system I get some LINCS warnings early on and then the mdrun terminates with the following error:

[leapfrog:14187] *** Process received signal ***
[leapfrog:14187] Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
[leapfrog:14187] Signal code: Address not mapped (1)
[leapfrog:14187] Failing at address: 0x1bd6a390
[leapfrog:14187] [ 0] /lib64/libpthread.so.0 [0x3bf620eca0]
[leapfrog:14187] [ 1] /opt/gromacs/4.5.5-gcc470-ompi145/lib/libgmx_mpi.so.6 [0x2b3762b7ba5b]
[leapfrog:14187] *** End of error message ***
Segmentation fault

Any idea what might be causing this? Thanks in advance for any help.

More
10 years 6 months ago #2127 by Clement
Mmmmh... I think your problem comes from the the structure of the cholesterol itself, which is extremely constrained and quite unstable with a 40fs timestep. We usually simulate it using a dt of 30fs. I think that's the solution. We might have other models available for cholesterol, but not yet well tested or published; I'll forward your message to the people working on it.

• htranz
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago #2134 by htranz
I tried rerunning the simulation with 30fs time step and increased system box size, which seems to have helped but it still terminated with the same error after about 50ns...

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds