normal Do MARTINI lipid bilayers exhibit the ripple phase?

• Rajat Desikan
  • Rajat Desikan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #8167 by Rajat Desikan
Dear all,
I am interesting in simulating the P-beta` (interdigitated ripple) phase of saturated lipid membranes with Martini FF. I have not come across any publication that has reported this phase with Martini membranes.

Can you please let me know if anyone has simulated this phase with Martini, or if Martini can even capture this phase at all?

Many thanks,
Rajat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #8171 by riccardo
Hi Rajat,
I haven't heard of such a phase in quite a few years of being in the Martini world. However, I'm not a lipid expert and, for example, I'm not familiar with this phase.
So, either this phase can't be captured by Martini (2.x) or you may be the first to (try to) simulate it :-)

• Rajat Desikan
  • Rajat Desikan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #8173 by Rajat Desikan
Replied by Rajat Desikan on topic Do MARTINI lipid bilayers exhibit the ripple phase?
Hi Riccardo,
Thank you for replying. Here are all-atom simulations of the ripple phase by Prof. Marrink himself. :)
www.pnas.org/content/102/15/5392

It is indeed surprising if no one has attempted to simulate this phase in Martini because there are a plethora of all-atom simulations which have characterized this phase!

Cheers,
Rajat
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Rajat Desikan. Reason: Spelling errors

More
4 years 9 months ago #8179 by siewert
We tried modeling the rippled phase with Martini long ago, but without success - the main problem is that the Martini gel phase (at least for DPPC) does no show any tilt, which is a prerequisite for observing the rippled phase.

However, others have shown that there might exist also a tilted gel phase for Martini, so there might be hope ! See:

journals.jps.jp/doi/10.1143/JPSJ.81.024002

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds