normal martinize: disulfides and output as gro issues

• johnd
  • johnd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 1 month ago #5449 by johnd
Hello,

I am coarse-graining a protein and I am having a few issues.

For reference, the protein is 3RFI on rscb, and it has 3 disulfide linkages. The pdb is missing some sections, but these were rebuilt using modeller. I am using gromacs 5.0.4. I used H++ to protonate my protein at pH = 4.5.

The 3 linkages are between cysteine's 11 & 104, 36 & 76, and 42 & 73 in the original pdb. I removed excess residues (added due to the E. coli expression system), so the cys are in different places (6, 31, 37, 68, 71, & 99), and I renumbered the file. The reason I did it this way is because the itp file later is written based on the current file.

Then I cg'ed the structure

I have two issues starting here:

1 - Afterwards martinize leaves a note "Cysteine bonds are 0.24 nm constraints, instead of the published 0.39nm/5000kJ/mol", but when I check the protein's itp file, there is nothing in either the bonds section or constraints section that implies the disulfide bonds were created.

Could someone clarify whether I am missing something, or if these bonds were indeed not created. Can I simply add in a 0.24000 nm contraint between appropriate cysteine sidechains?

2 - The martinize script doesn't output in the proper gro format. I have also tried to use pdb2gmx to convert the pdb to a gro first, but then martinize again reformats the file to something unreadable by gromacs. Any idea why this is happening? I am 100% sure I have used this script before and it worked for me then. To be safe I downloaded a new copy of martinize and the issue persisted. I'm using python 2.7.9.

Steps exactly as they were done:
gmx pdb2gmx -f 3rfi_4.5.pdb -o 3rfi_4.5.gro -water none -ignh
Forcefield was amber99sbnmr1-ildn
gmx editconf -f 3rfi_4.5.gro -o 3rfi_4.5.gro -resnr 1
./martinize.py -f 3rfi_4.5.gro -x 3rfi_4.5_cg.gro -dssp /usr/bin/dssp -o topol.top -cys 6,99 -cys 31,71 -cys 37,68

Please see files in dropbox for reference: www.dropbox.com/sh/ckmhc90p25wiu5w/AAAXY...qE2b8CdxQHGV8Fa?dl=0

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Cheers,

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #5453 by djurre
Hi John,

johnd wrote:
1 - Afterwards martinize leaves a note "Cysteine bonds are 0.24 nm constraints, instead of the published 0.39nm/5000kJ/mol", but when I check the protein's itp file, there is nothing in either the bonds section or constraints section that implies the disulfide bonds were created.

Could someone clarify whether I am missing something, or if these bonds were indeed not created. Can I simply add in a 0.24000 nm contraint between appropriate cysteine sidechains?

You could indeed just add the the constraints as you suggest. However, martinize.py also recognizes the CYS bonds by itself if you set "-cys auto". The syntax as you used should also work, but I can confirm it doesn't. I'll look into that a bit more.

johnd wrote: 2 - The martinize script doesn't output in the proper gro format. I have also tried to use pdb2gmx to convert the pdb to a gro first, but then martinize again reformats the file to something unreadable by gromacs. Any idea why this is happening? I am 100% sure I have used this script before and it worked for me then. To be safe I downloaded a new copy of martinize and the issue persisted. I'm using python 2.7.9.

This is a filenaming problem: martinize.py outputs structures in pdb format, but you are telling it to name it "3rfi_4.5_cg.gro". It is not smart in the sense that it doesn't add the right extension. Simple change the filename to <something>.pdb, and gromacs recognizes it.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #5454 by djurre
The problem with the ss-bridges is due to an inconsistency in how empty chain identifiers are handle internally. I've logged an issue here:
github.com/cgmartini/martinize.py/issues/7

and try to fix it for a future release.

In the mean time the solution I gave in the previous post works or you can explicitly specify an "empty" chain:

-cys " /CYS/15, /CYS/48"
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by djurre.

• johnd
  • johnd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
More
8 years 1 month ago #5456 by johnd
Hi Djurre,

Thank you very much for your help! I have tried the -cys auto option like you said and that worked for me perfectly.

In the meantime I had also figured out my issues with the martinize output format. I was always trying to use pdb2gmx to change from pdb to gro, but now I realized editconf is a much better choice (and simpler).

delete extra residues
editconf > renumber pdb
martinize > output to pdb
editconf > convert pdb to gro

Thanks again,

John

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds