normal ion-protein complexes in martinize.py

• mferraro
  • mferraro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
More
11 years 3 days ago #1543 by mferraro
ion-protein complexes in martinize.py was created by mferraro
Hi all,

I'm trying to generate a CG description of my protein using martinize.py script. In my pdb file I have two structural SODIUM IONS that are not recognized by the script. I have activated the flag "-hetatm" to retain them but similarly they are not included in topology file. How can I convert the all-atom description in the coarse grained one? Is it necessary to include the coarse grained description of these structural ions to stabilize the CG architecture of the protein?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 days ago #1545 by djurre
Replied by djurre on topic ion-protein complexes in martinize.py
The script will indeed not handle the IONs. Since the mapping of the ions is one to one, the position atomistic and coarse-grained will be the same.
However, the model for ions might not be good enough to keep the ions bound in the right position and the protein stable due to that (Atomisticially this is might also be the case?).
If you are using an elastic network, for example Elnedyn, the ternary structure of your protein will be kept stable anyway, with or without the ions. So that would probably solve you problem.

• mferraro
  • mferraro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
More
11 years 2 days ago #1547 by mferraro
Replied by mferraro on topic ion-protein complexes in martinize.py
Hi Djurre,

thanks for your precious reply!

More
10 years 11 months ago #1584 by xavier
Replied by xavier on topic ion-protein complexes in martinize.py

mferraro wrote: Hi Djurre,

thanks for your precious reply!

I'd like to add that if you like to keep the ion in the protein you could simply place them your self in the CG.pdb/gro file and add bonds to the ligands by hand in the topology file. A regular harmonic bond with a 10000 kJ/mol/nm2 fore constant should be fine.

Just out of curiosity: I am not aware of proteins with structural sodium ions. Are you sure this is the case?

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds