normal martinize-2.4 : problem/suggestion

• Landry
  • Landry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 5 months ago #3027 by Landry
martinize-2.4 : problem/suggestion was created by Landry
Dear Martini developers,

I have tried the new martinize script (v2.4) in order to compare the output files with the 2.3 version.

I find a problem in the itp file created for the protein in the case of Cystine bridges. Fir the cystine bridge definition, the lines are:
in the v2.3 : at1_id at2_id 1 0.39000 5000
in the v2.4 : at1_id at2_id 1 0.24000
So there is no force constant for v2.4 which give an error during the grompp step (Incorrect number of parameters - found 1, expected 2 or 4 for Bond.)
Indeed, in the script (line 1065) the constant force value is None.
Is it an error?

Moreover, you change the #ifdef RUBBER_BANDS by #ifndef NO_RUBBER_BANDS for the elastic network definition.
I suppose that, as martini needs elastic networks for secondary structure preservation, this change adds elastic networks by default. If yes, why the topol.top file created by martinize_v2.4 still contains the #define RUBBER_BANDS line? I think this line is now no more necessary isn't it?

I have also a suggestion for the next version (minor importance, like all computer guys, I am lazy). In the topol.top file, the line is always #include "martini.itp" independently of the force field choice. Currently, we have to modify this line manually. In order to the script does it automatically, I have modified the lines 5028 to 5041 by:
        if (options['ForceField'].name == "martini21") or (options['ForceField'].name == "elnedyn"):
	    itp_ff="martini_v2.1.itp"
        elif (options['ForceField'].name == "martini22") or (options['ForceField'].name == "elnedyn22"):
	    itp_ff="martini_v2.2.itp"
        elif options['ForceField'].name == "martini21p":
	    itp_ff="martini_v2.1P.itp"
        elif (options['ForceField'].name == "martini22p") or (options['ForceField'].name == "elnedyn22p"):
	    itp_ff="martini_v2.2P.itp"
	else:
	    itp_ff="martini.itp"

top.write(
'''#include "%s"
%s

[ system ]
; name
Martini system from %s

[ molecules ]
; name        number
%s''' % (itp_ff, itps, options["-f"] and options["-f"].value or "stdin", molecules)) # I have deleted the #define "RUBBER_BANDS" line.

May be the syntax is not well adapted, I am not an expert in python.

Landry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #3031 by djurre
Replied by djurre on topic martinize-2.4 : problem/suggestion
Dear Landry,
Thanks a lot for the bug report and suggestion. To answer you questions one by one:
-Force constant 'None' should give a constraint instead of a bond. I'll look into why that is not happening here.
-You are right, the "#define RUBBER_BANDS" line is no longer used. I'll remove it from the code in a next release.
-I totally agree that the reference to the forcefield should depend on the forcefield. However it also should be flexible, for example if one uses a self modified forcefield. But than again, it is in your code because of the else statement. I'll try include it in the next release, either as you proposed or in a different way.

More
10 years 5 months ago #3032 by djurre
I've fixed the problem with the constraints. If you change lines 4974 and 4975 to:

cat = (forceconst == None) and "Constraint" or "Link"
top.bonds.append(TOP.Bond((atomA,atomB),options=options,type=1,parameters=(bondlength,forceconst),category=cat,comments="Cys-bonds/special link"))

it should be fixed. If you have time, could you check if it works? If it works we'll include it in the next version.

• Landry
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #3036 by Landry
Replied by Landry on topic martinize-2.4 : problem/suggestion
No it doesn't work. I have the error message:
File "martinize-2.4.py", line 4977, in main
    top.bonds.append(TOP.Bond((atomA,atomB),options=options,type=1,parameters=(bondlength,forceconst),category=cat,comments="Cys-bonds/special link"))
NameError: global name 'TOP' is not defined

If I have changed "TOP.Bond" by "top.bonds", I have now the error message:
File "martinize-2.4.py", line 4977, in main
    top.bonds.append(top.bonds((atomA,atomB),options=options,type=1,parameters=(bondlength,forceconst),category=cat,comments="Cys-bonds/special link"))
TypeError: 'CategorizedList' object is not callable

Sorry I can't help you more than that, I never use python.

Landry
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Landry.

More
10 years 5 months ago #3037 by djurre
Ah , yes of course. You can leave the "TOP." away. So only the "Bond((...etc"

• Landry
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #3038 by Landry
It works now, but still a little problem.
Even without the -cys option, martinize finds and writes cys-bond. It could be a problem if the cys-bonds find by martinize don't exist.

So, if I used the -cys option with -cys chain/resn/resi,chain/resn/resi, the cys-bonds already find by martinize are written twice in the protein.itp file (one time by martinize and one by me in the -cys option).

EDIT: No it's fine, it works perfectly, I did a mistake, I have used the -cys option twice! sorry
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Landry.

• Landry
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 5 months ago #3040 by Landry
Last remark (I hope). The HIH residue parameters are present in all the forcefield for martinize_v2.3 but for v2.4, it is missing for the elnedyn forcefield. Is it normal?

More
10 years 5 months ago #3064 by djurre

Landry wrote: EDIT: No it's fine, it works perfectly, I did a mistake, I have used the -cys option twice! sorry

Oh man, I spend all yesterday evening trying to reproduce this! :-) No, just kidding. Glad this problem is fixed. I'll look into the HIH issue. Thanks again for reporting!

More
10 years 5 months ago #3083 by chenyuetian
Replied by chenyuetian on topic martinize-2.4 : problem/suggestion
Thanks for the discussion here. I am facing the same problem (in grompp, Incorrect number of parameters - found 1, expected 2 or 4 for Bond) when using the -cys option. I don't know how you modify the python script here, nor wait for the release of martinize v2.5.

So now in the .itp file may I just move the generated the cystine bridge definition from the [bonds] section to [constrains] section?

Another problem is the warning when in grompp step:
Warning: atom name 4 in 1r2m_water.top and 1r2m_water.gro does not match (SCP - SCD)
Warning: atom name 5 in 1r2m_water.top and 1r2m_water.gro does not match (SCN - SCD)
I am sure I can ignore the warning but it does exist.
The -ff elnedyn22p option is used in martinize2.4 script.

More
10 years 5 months ago #3088 by djurre
1) Yes, you can just move the cys-bridge from bonds to constraints.
2) Yes, you can ignore the warning. The martinize.py script also warns you that this will happen:

WARNING Bead names of charges in sidechains differ between .top/.itp and .pdb.
WARNING Using names in topology, as Gromacs does, gives the correct result.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds